Monday, November 20, 2006

My Attempt at a Phone Keyboard

The OpenMoko project was announced recently, and I'm really hoping that it heralds a future where phones aren't lobotomized by service providers in order to sell users $2 ring tones. A fully programmable, open source phone is such a beautiful thing, and I can't wait to start hacking on it when it comes out.

Anyhow, I was so excited about it that my mind kept on wandering to different applications to write for it (when I should have been concentrating on my Korean language studies). One of the ideas I had was a new kind of text input method. It's really hard to know what it will feel like without some physical device to test it with, but I do have a small demo page up to illustrate the basic concepts. It's just a quick thing I punched out to play with ideas until I get back to the states next month and can prototype it out on a physical device.

I'm also really, really looking forward to playing with the GPS features. Ah, life is good.

No comments: